Friday, May 28, 2010

The Daily Jerry, Big Citi and More

A lot to get to today...let's begin with the Daily Jerry, shall we?

***

Manager Jerry Manuel arrives in Milwaukee. He is greeted on a telephone conference by General Manager Omar Minaya and owner Fred Wilpon. Let's listen in...

FW: Jerry, I have to say, I'm very pleased with the recent turn in events.

JM: Uhh, Fred...I've found that when, uh, the team wins...you are happy as compared to, through evaluating our conversations of course...uh...you are not as happy when the team does not win.

OM: I BUILT THIS POWERHOUSE!!! REMEMBER WHO SIGNED OLIVER PEREZ? JOHN MAINE? THAT WAS ME, FRED! WHERE'S MY EXTENSION?

FW: Quiet down, Omar. You know you'll be taken care of - I could never fire you. This call is for Jerry....Jerry, can I trust you to keep this thing moving in the right direction? I can't have the media questioning whether I'm going to fire you every day.

JM: Well, Fred, I...I think it's in our organization's best interest to continue to evaluate our team...and uh, maybe I should be getting an extension too...I mean, I've turned Omar's crap roster into, uh, a winning baseball team.

OM: You know I'm sensitive Jerry - and you know I can fire your ass!

FW: No, Omar, you can't. I make all the decisions here. Jerry, start Barajas tonight or you get canned...

JM: Uhhh, yes sir.

***

DON'T HATE ON BIG CITI

Anyone who follows the team knows the Mets are lights out at home (19-9) and abysmal on the road (6-14.) Here is why Mets fans should love this ballpark instead of hate it. The franchise has an opportunity to build a team around speed, defense and pitching. The Mets will be able to sign free agent pitchers to come to New York on the basis of two facts: 1) you're in the National league and face the pitcher and 2) even if you make a mistake in this ballpark, you probably surrender a double at worst due to its vast confines. The Mets don't need to change their approach a the plate by attempting to compensate for power numbers on the road. Play a speed oriented game - steal bases, move runners over, manufacture runs. Compliment that with good pitching and Citi Field could become an even better home field advantage than it already is.

***

ALL ACES

Mike Pelfrey's stats for the 2010 campaign:

10 starts, 7-1 record, 2.54 ERA, 63 2/3 innings pitched, 57 hits, just 3 home runs, 44 strikeouts.

More to come on the Mets righty...

-Tom Greenhalgh (5/28/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment